Screening and Training for Volunteers and Staff
To create and maintain a safe work environment. These policies and procedures represent an ongoing process designed to identify any person – whether paid or unpaid, volunteer or staff – who may potentially cause harm to children, youth or other vulnerable persons.
Firebird Community Cycle (Firebird) takes seriously it’s responsibility to appropriately screen any person who will have access vulnerable persons.
Screen volunteers and staff who will be interacting or supervising participants is a reasonable measure to prevent, minimize or eliminate identified risks.
Depending on the positon within Firebird, levels of risk may vary from:
· Low risk: minimal or no contact with vulnerable persons (i.e., member of the board of directors)
· Medium risk: supervised contact with vulnerable persons (i.e., volunteer assistant instructor)
· High risk: unsupervised contact with vulnerable persons (i.e., project manager/instructor)
Candidate staff and volunteers will:
· be required to complete an application form and/or submit a resume with at least 3 references
· obtain a clean Police Vulnerable Sector Check
· provide a drivers’ abstract, if operating a vehicle as part of their duties
· agree to an interview with Firebird directors
· complete an orientation and training prior to acceptance
· undergo an evaluation of their job performance at least once a year
· understand that Firebird will follow-up with participants who receive their services